Fleetcare are committed to community safety and have prepared the following advice to assist our customers and the public in reducing the potential spread of disease, including coronavirus COVID-19 within vehicles.
The Australian Government Department of Health outlines a number of cleaning and disinfection principles for Coronavirus. The following measures should be observed to prevent the transmission of disease, particularly in pool and passenger vehicles with multiple occupants.
- Disinfectant Wipes: Regularly wipe down all commonly touched surfaces such as the steering wheel, door handles, gear stick, window opening mechanisms and indicators.
- Disinfectant Spray: Commercial sprays such as Clorox* and Lysol*, approved fresh bleach solutions and concentrates can be applied and left to dry on surfaces such as door cards (interior door panel), trays etc. Be sure to follow all dilution instructions to avoid interior damage.
- Disinfectant Surface Spray: Use a surface spray such as Glen 20* to spray on fabric seats to disinfect and remove unwanted smells.
- Hand Sanitiser: This does not replace handwashing but is effective in reducing risk, especially where hand washing is not possible. Encourage all occupants of the vehicle to apply hand sanitiser prior to entering and regularly during vehicle travel.
- Handwashing: All occupants of the vehicle should be encouraged to observe the recommended handwashing protocols
- Hot water and soap for 20 seconds, palm to palm, in between fingers, focus on thumbs, back of hands and rinse
- Dry with single use paper towel or hand dryer
For prisoner and patient transport vehicles, Fleetcare recommend a 4L pump pack of disinfectant spray, misted throughout the passenger area after each use. Disinfectant spray can be made using a fresh bleach solution in accordance with the Department of Health's cleaning and disinfection principles for Coronavirus.
Please note that bleach and hydrogen peroxide may cause damage to the interior of the vehicle while ammonia-based products can break down the vinyl on the dashboard. Please check the material data safety sheet for the correct preparation and application of these products.
*Please obtain and follow all appropriate instructions and Material Safety Data Sheets
Control and Cleaning
In the event of a significant biohazard situation including the possibility of disease outbreak, the vehicle must be professionally cleaned and disinfected.
If you require assistance with Biohazard cleaning for your Fleetcare managed vehicle, please contact us on 134 333.
Other considerations for good personal hygiene:
- Refraining from touching mouth and nose
- Avoiding close contact with anyone if you, or they, have a cold or flu-like symptoms (maintain a distance of at least 1.5 metres).
- If coughing or sneezing, covering your nose and mouth with a paper tissue or flexed elbow – dispose of the tissue immediately after use and perform hand hygiene
- Carry hand sanitiser/disinfectant wipes when travelling and using public or shared transport
Additional information can be obtained from the Department of Health.
IMPORTANT NOTE - This content is current as at 23 March 2020 and provided for information purposes only. The information may not be suitable or appropriate for your organisation’s operations and needs. As such, please undertake your own independent assessment(s) and take into consideration any specific government laws and guidance. Response and advice regarding Coronavirus is changing rapidly and it is important that you keep up to date with all relevant information issued by the Australian Government.