After a bit of research, here 10 of the most common New Years resolutions people make (in no particular order). We bet you’ve made at least one of them!
1. Get fit/exercise more/eat healthier
2. Lose some weight
3. Save money
4. Enjoy life/have more ‘you’ time
5. Get organised
6 .Learn something new
7 .Spend more time with family and friends
8. Quit smoking
9. Spend more time outdoors/less on technology
If you’ve made one of these resolutions for 2012, or any other, here are some hints on how to stick to them.
• Realistic, short list – it’s better to choose 1 thing and do it well, then 5 that you do half heartedly. Make a list of what you need to do so that your resolution doesn’t get lost in your busy day-to-day life.
• Be accountable – tell others about what you aim to achieve. Even get a friend or relative to join in too, then it’s less likely you’ll give up – they’ll be there to cheer you on and to make sure you do what you say you’ll do!
• Write them down – so that you see them each day and it reminds you of what you want to achieve. If pictures help, stick some of those up too, weather it be of a holiday destination you want to save for or a dress you want to fit in to.
• Record progress – by doing this you can see you are actually getting somewhere. Even the smallest step is an achievement.
• Set milestones and reward yourself – celebrate milestones along the way, and you’ll be sure to feel great! By congratulating yourself in some way, it will encourage you to keep going!
• Be patient – unfortunately for most of us, we can’t save for a holiday overnight, or give up on junk food with the click of our fingers. Remind yourself that it’s not going to happen overnight, because after all, you are only human! Give yourself time and be patient.
Now you're armed with the knowledge to stick to your resolutions, why not go and kick start them right now? Just think how great it will feel in 12 months time when you can tell everyone that you stuck to your resolution!