• Learn to play a musical instrument: Knowing how to play an instrument will earn you instant cool points with your friends and family. With so many instruments available, you are sure to find one that takes your fancy – guitar, piano, flute, clarinet and trumpet, drums, just to name a few! Many individuals and music shops offer lessons, have a look online or in the local paper.
• Arts and crafts: there are many community centres across Australia that offer art and craft classes. Learn how to draw, paint, knit, sculpt, sew or make pottery!
• Play a team sport: Team sports are a fantastic way to meet new people and get fit at the same time! Join a soccer, netball, basketball or AFL league at your local sports club.
• Join a club: A quick internet search will bring up lots of clubs to join in your local area – weather it be a book club, choir, car group, etc. Being a member of a club or group is a great way to connect with other people who have similar interest, so you will also make friends along the way!
• Photography: learn how to take photographs like a professional! Turn your holiday snaps into works of art by attending photography short courses offered at training institutions or community centres.
• Cooking and baking: Ever wanted to turn ordinary meals into culinary delights? You can take cooking or baking classes at many locations, with ranging specialities, skill levels and course lengths. A useful and tasty hobby!
• Learn a new language: If you’re keen on finding out about other cultures, are planning to travel or just impress your friends, learning a new language is a great skill to learn. Classes in many different languages are taught at community centres, colleges and training institutions.
• Volunteering: There isn’t anything more rewarding than giving back to the community. With so many charities needing your time instead of money, you can volunteer for a range of organisations depending on what cause your passionate about – animals, children in need, people with disabilities – the list goes on. Search for charities looking for volunteers at Seek Volunteer.
Do you know of any other great hobbies or interests to take part in? Head over to our Twitter page and tell us about it!