10 reasons why your fleet needs GPS tracking
GPS Fleet Tracking 101
GPS tracking uses a satellite linked device to update vehicle information at regular intervals (usually around 20sec). Information includes, date, time, location (latitude & longitude) heading direction, altitude and travelling speed. This information is then delivered to the fleet manager, keeping managers updated on their fleet’s status 24 hours a day 7 days a week, from anywhere with an internet connection.
GPS software packages come equipped with a standard set of tools that inform fleet managers when a predefined parameter is broken or a particular event occurs.These monitoring tools include ·
Travelling – Notification when a vehicle starts travelling · Out of designated zone – Notification when a vehicle leaves a designated geographical location.
Time frame – Notification when a vehicle operates outside predefined timeframes · Speeding – Notification when a vehicle exceeds a certain speed.
Restricted Zone – A restricted geographical area that vehicles are not allowed to enter
The business applications of fleet-monitoring are endless, only limited by the user’s creativity. Below are ten indisputable reasons why all SME’s and larger enterprises should implement a GPS fleet tracking system. It’s no longer the question ‘Should I implement a GPS fleet management system?’, but rather ‘Which system should I choose?’
10 Reasons Why Your Business Needs GPS Fleet Tracking
1. Automates Administration · Schedule and verify service intervals · Plan routes to take vehicles in for service (large vehicles/equipment) · Records employee hours and kilometers traveled
2. Quicker Reaction Time· Real time decision making on events · Real time accountability of drivers and assets
3. Lower Maintenance Costs · Reduces speeding, preventing excessive engine and tire wear · Allows verification of service intervals to stop major costs before they occur · Reduces unauthorized out of hours usage, reducing kilometers traveled (save on fuel and maintenance)
4. More Control · Stop unauthorized activities involving company resources e.g. using for external business or personal usage of plant equipment · Identify such activity and stop immediately · Reduce theft by tracking out of hour’s usage and movement outside a designated geographical region. Increase likelihood of retrieving a stolen vehicle.
5. Efficient Route Planning · Avoid heavy traffic areas · Monitor driver locations in real time for time sensitive dispatch and delivery · Plan best delivery routes into one sequential route instead of doubling back past locations
6. Reduced Insurance Cost · Verify claims with vehicle time, speed and location data · Reduce dangerous driving behaviour and therefore accidents · Some insurance companies now offer a discount for companies with GPS
7. Safer Drivers · Notify emergency services of exact location should an emergency occur · Accountability increases safe driving behaviour
8. Improved Customer Interactions · ETA become more accurate · Verify service complaints · Quicker dispatch and delivery times
9. Improved Bottom Line · Lowered maintenance costs · Reduce driver overtime using route planning · Reduce vehicle’s being out of action or ‘down time’
10. Because it’s Proven to Work . A fleet with a size of 10, travelling 30’000km each per year would save approximately $6,750 AUD per annum. Considering the average price to set up GPS is ($660 p.a) that’s a pretty good ROI . By monitoring usage of work vehicles outside work hours, business's can determine drivers who may be excessively running the vehicle for non business purposes.
Just Some of the Benefits
By lowering movement of vehicles outside work hour’s vehicle running costs can also be dramatically reduced. . 95% of stolen vehicles recovered within 24hrs of initial theft when fitted with GPS tracking compared to 75% without tracking systems. .
Through active monitoring of vehicle travels and time-sheets; the average fleet of trade vehicles can expect to save approx 15% of inaccurately claimed overtime.
By making the drivers more accountable for their actions; instances of speeding infringements can be reduced dramatically. Not to mention saving fuel by approx 10% and lowering engine wear.
See our new video and learn more about GPS Fleet Tracking
Back to previous page
Back to main blog